Believe Me, Some Dreams Come True

"I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you'd gone there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world"


AFTER THE CONCERT: BLESSED 

Last Sunday, I was driving, and the song Viva La Vida by Coldplay came on the radio. I hadn't heard this song since I last attended their concert. Yes, the power of random music to trigger vivid memories that seem to transport me back in time, space, and place. Now here I am, recalling all the memories whilst writing this.


BEFORE THE CONCERT: EXCITED, NERVOUS, SCARED.

I've never thought that I could watch Coldplay. The idea of watching Coldplay is ridiculously crazy, and high hope. I thought it would take me 5-7 years to make these wild dreams happen. Fortunately, when the day Coldplay shows in Asia was announced. I knew it, Singapore was the closest area that I could reach to make my dreams come true. The first show (April 1) got sold out like that fast, and thank God they announced a second show (March 31). My friends and I tried our best to get this goddamn ticket. I went to the office earlier, I opened so many browsers. The first time I got into the browser, I tried to book the tickets, but I lost them because I took a lot of time logging in my payment details. Luckily, I have this one friend Nadhira. She sacrificed her time to get us the tickets. The universe really blessed us that day. Through Nadhira, we got the tickets. She was able to book tickets easily. She was in and out through the browser, and she said she was able to book the tickets like 4-6 times?

And yes, ladies and gentlemen, from that day, I already checked one of my bucket lists. Coldplay, here I come.

THE DAY: OVER THE SKY FULL OF STARS

That day was one of the most amazing, tiring, and fun experiences I have ever had with my friends (Four of us planned to use this route. The cheapest course but the hardest one). In one day, we already travelled to Jambi - Batam - Singapore. We travelled through the land, air, and sea. It took us 10 hours to finally step on our feet in Singapore. We took more than 100,000 steps (I guess?) in one day, survived the long queue at immigration, and finally went to a Coldplay concert.

A day to be marked in history arrived. March 31, the day I shared the same oxygen with Chris, Jonny, Will, and Guy. I have prepared myself by listening to their "A Head Full of Dreams" setlist, watching their performance on YouTube and reading about the experience of a lifetime of people watching Coldplay concerts.

(There was a beautiful sunset before the concert)

A day to be marked in history arrived. March 31, the day I shared the same oxygen with Chris, Jonny, Will, and Guy. I have prepared myself by listening to their "A Head Full of Dreams" setlist, watching their performance on YouTube and reading about the experience of a lifetime of people watching Coldplay concerts.


We arrived at National Stadium Singapore around 5 o'clock or maybe a few minutes after 5. We had three hours to kill, and during that time, we were freaking out inside. We decided to go to our gate, and once our tickets were scanned, we were handed Love Buttons and Xylobands. I was thrilled. Like, finally, I was that close to my dreams. I was almost in tears when I held the Xylobands.



My friends and I weren't thrilled about our section, but that's okay because it's Coldplay. No matter how far away you are, you can feel the atmosphere, euphoria, genuine hard work, dedication, excitement, and admiration throughout the two-hour performance.


After the opening act, Jess Kent. I knew it was finally time for Coldplay; after the countdown and opening video, 8 o'clock on the dot. The stadium lights went out, it was so dark, and when I saw my Xyloband turned on, and every Xylobands all turned on, everyone started screaming. Later, Chris, Jonny, Will, and Guy ran and started the night with their opening song, "A Head Full of Dreams". Believe me, I began to cry and wiped my tears when my Xyloband turned red, and the stadium went red. I even hugged my friends, and we couldn't stop our tears. I think I cried because the dime, the time, all the steps I took, and the pain in my feet to get here were worth it.


The moment every Xylobands turned into starry yellow, and everyone started screaming, Chris Martin played the intro, and I knew "Yellow" was kicking off our night. I shook and hugged my friends while hearing thousands of crowds sing the bittersweet hooks, "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you". I really enjoyed that moment. I was drowning in their music and the energy from the people around me. The moment was everything to me.


(National Stadium Singapore went yellow during "Yellow". Image Courtesy: Singapore Sports Hub)

Almost every concert or music festival I've attended has kept me busy taking pictures and videos. I wanted to keep the memories. But Coldplay altered my habits that night. I wasn't making memories to treasure. My phone truly does not deserve these Coldplay memories. Only I deserve these memories. There is no reason for me to hide behind my phone. And yes, I stood in my section, singing my heart out.

I was sobbing for most of the concert because I couldn't believe I was there. Even so, I thought I was dreaming. I started crying when Chris asked us to think of someone we wanted to send positive energy or prayer. When Chris began singing "Everglow," I lost it. "Everglow" was superbly written. It's the most intimate and emotional song on Coldplay's A Head Full of Dreams album. "Everglow" simply reminds me of the phases we go through that have already changed and cannot be returned to. However, among the changes is a valuable feeling that shines like a diamond in the dark. This song will not make you dance or jump but will make you feel warm and content.

During this tour, Coldplay performed "Heroes" as a tribute to David Bowie. I had no idea a song was dedicated to David Bowie. That made my entire evening. Everyone was simply having fun at the time. It takes about two hours. Coldplay made us forget about all the bad things in life in two hours. They captivated our hearts and minds with an unforgettable and heartwarming once-in-a-lifetime experience. It was incredible to hear musical instruments being played while all I could hear was the crowd singing. Everyone is taking everything in. We joined in on Coldplay hits like "Viva la Vida," "Fix You," "Yellow," "The Scientist," and "Sky Full of Stars," forming one massive, beautiful, harmonious, and serene choir.

During "Adventure of a Lifetime," Chris also instructed the audience to get down. "Everybody go down, everybody go down, go low, go down... everybody go low, down..." he said (in an inviting tone). In 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, go!" The entire National Stadium in Singapore then jumped and went wild. Everyone burst into screaming. Throughout many songs, Chris instructed us to jump higher, clap our hands, and sing the verses with him. I felt unstoppable and inspired, no matter how far away I was from the stage. There were no negative vibes at the time. My dark and sorrow mood simply vanished. I felt great. That night was unquestionably the best of my life.


(Sea of colourful Xylobands)

(Coldplay took over Singapore with bursts of confetti and spectacular music. Image Courtesy: Lala's)

(A view from Standing Pen A,  when big balloons fell from above during Adventure of a Lifetime. Image courtesy: Lala's)

(Kaleidoscopic show from Coldplay. Image Courtesy: Singapore Sports Hub)

Without a doubt, my Coldplay concert was flawless. Absolutely flawless. Coldplay simply raises the bar in terms of concert awesomeness. They really know how to look after their fans. They are genuinely concerned. They are caring and amusing individuals. They enjoy making each other laugh and strive to provide us with an experience of a lifetime—yep, more than just a show. Their performance is truly life-changing. I'm not sure how to put it, but they make us, not just the audience, a part of their concert. I felt connected to the people around me, and I could feel it because of the flickering Xylobands and our shared love of Coldplay.

That night, Coldplay brought the love-and-rainbow festival to National Stadium Singapore. I'm talking about the glowing xylobands that lit up in time with the music. These massive balloons fell from the sky during "Adventure of a Lifetime", confetti bursts, fireworks (not particularly spectacular, perhaps due to the venue), kaleidoscope lasers during the new hit "Something Just Like This," and the incredible audio, energy, and vibe they brought just brought the entire stadium to happy tears. It was gorgeously insane. Before I forget, they even moved to a secret stage closer to my view for a few songs. They just ran away from the main scene and did an acoustic thing; they did it so that people like me could get a better look at them.

I loved how they cracked jokes about how hot Singapore was that night, and we all laughed together. I swear, if I could, I would bottle up that crazy atmosphere that night.

(View from my section. Far away, but it's still magical thou)

Coldplay definitely gave me goosebumps. They are individuals who, through their music, create hopeful energy and positivity. Most of their songs are also filled with hope and a powerful message to unite and fight injustice and other social issues. They are not only the best band of my generation, They are far more than that. They are helping the world. Through their music, they are attempting to make the world a better place, to bring peace, and to make a difference.

(Chris Martin on the big screen. You look so beautiful and well, dear. Image Courtesy: Lala's)

I'd been listening to their songs on my phone, YouTube, Spotify, the radio, parties, and karaoke nights my entire life, but that night was the first time I heard them live. Coldplay was performing the songs I'd been singing along to. Everyone sang along to their songs as if they'd gone through the lyrics with me. Everyone was hugging each other (including me, who kept hugging my friends). It was a huge life celebration. After the concert, I saw people crying (yes, I was crying as well), taking selfies and pictures with teary eyes, and a diverse group smiling and laughing as they shared their love for Coldplay. That night, I could see the joy on everyone's faces. One that is genuine. Oh dear, it was enthralling.


(Left to Right: Nyoi, Della, Nadhira, Me, Melin, Munir, and My Sister)

(Selfie after the concert. Happy faces all around us!)

The best part was being able to see them live. Even though it required me to travel across land, sea, air, and countries, I will be eternally grateful. Until now, I have been grateful that I attended the Coldplay concert with my loved ones. I'm so glad I got to see the world through Coldplay with the people I chose and who chose me. I'm fulfilled. Being able to attend their concert would have been enough, but God doubled my joy. He allowed me to witness, share, and sing the band's songs, which I would normally sing in my car or bathroom with the people I care about the most, and then simply made everything a billion times better. It felt surreal, but it happened.
(I am forever grateful)

This was my first Coldplay concert, but it certainly won't be my last. Yes, I'll never forget my first Coldplay concert, and I hope to be able to attend the second, third, fourth, and so on. And I really hope to see them perform again with people I care about (possibly the same people). Also, if you read this post in the midst of confusion (or perhaps I should say loss), maybe you really like Coldplay but haven't had the opportunity to see them live. Continue to hope and dream. You'll get there in the end. You'll be able to watch them live at some point– Be thankful.
Coldplay, thank you very much. Thank you for letting me know everything I desire is a dream away. Thank you for that magical evening. I knew that magical moment had passed. I will recall now vividly the pleasure and moment I felt more beautiful.

I'll see you soon, Coldplay. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premolars and Quarter.

23.